SCHEDULE YOUR WINTER SERVICE INSPECTION
Here at HITEC Machinery Agriculture & Turf, we are committed to helping customers extend the lifespan of their equipment. Consistent maintenance and inspection helps you maximize your uptime and limit your downtime. Plus, keeping equipment in exceptional condition helps you spot issues early, preventing bigger repairs and offsetting the need to replace equipment early.
In this edition of the HITEC Machinery Agriculture & Turf blog, let’s take a look at how to take advantage of the winter downtime to plow ahead – all while making sure you’re ready for the busy spring season.
If you are planning to store your equipment for the winter, be sure to winterize your machine to prevent damage from the colder temperatures and idle time.
A few steps include:
- Clean the equipment
- Empty the fuel tank, and use a winter-grade fuel to prevent it from freezing in lower temperatures
- Remove spark plugs and battery
- Store in a dry place with the parking brake on; preferably in a heated garage–or you can use an engine-block heater to minimize the cold weather’s impact on your engine
- Keep an eye on any rubber equipment, as the colder temperatures can make that type of material dry and brittle, and therefore more prone to cracks or leaks
- Be sure to use mouse repellants so rodents don’t chew on wiring
- Check for water and residue regularly throughout the winter, as you want to prevent any buildup from condensation (tip: drain things like reservoirs and oil pans.)
Winter is the perfect time to get your equipment serviced and inspected. You can make use of your extra downtime to be sure you’re completely ready for the spring, while protecting your equipment from any longer term issues.
If you are planning to keep your equipment running in the winter months, you’ll want to take extra precautions, too, so being extra on top of inspection and maintenance is essential.
Here at HITEC Machinery Agriculture & Turf, we offer exceptional tractor and farm equipment service. You can count on our trained experts to provide anything from 24/7 support to preventative maintenance to critical repairs. We work on all models, including John Deere, Honda, and Stihl. Winter is a popular time for customers to visit us in preparation for the warmer months ahead, so be sure to reach out and schedule your service appointment today at one of our many locations across the West.
KEEP IT RUNNING
If you do plan to store your equipment over the winter, be sure to run it from time to time. Long periods of idleness aren’t good for your engines. If you do plan to keep using your equipment throughout the winter months, be sure to rev up the engine before use.